Reports to: Foreman
Tapani Inc. believes all employees should maintain a positive working relationship with those they work with inside and outside of the company. This approach helps maintain employee morale, productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness. We expect all employees to uphold our core values and vision and to continually focus on employee engagement, self-improvement, business innovation, and relationship development.
Job Purpose and Summary
The Heavy Equipment Operator is responsible for operating the heavy equipment to ensure the day to day activities of the onsite project move forward in accordance to the Foreman’s direction and schedule.
- Responsible for Field Production
- Communicate with Foreman to understand the plan for the day
- Ensure all equipment being operated for the day is warmed up and operational by shift start
- Ensure communication is maintained with other field workers to ensure efficient results and a safe working environment
- Operation of the heavy equipment
- Assist with all tasks to ensure a quality project by Tapani Inc.
- Responsible for Proper use of Heavy Equipment
- Understand all functions and mechanics; ensure proper attachments, hoses, belts, etc. are utilized and maintained
- Understand and perform all daily machine checks and maintenance needs; ensure proper greasing, oiling, and minor repairs
- Communicate with Foreman on all equipment concerns and repair needs
- Understand machine’s abilities and limits of performance and stay within limit bounds
- Knowing and understanding the functions of each piece of equipment being ran
- Ensure safe use of equipment; show regard for the equipment, the project, the others onsite, traffic, and the overall environment
- Ensure proper handling of equipment while in operation, know where the perimeter of the machine is at all times, and know your surroundings
- Responsible for Site Safety
- Ensure proper awareness and communication at all times with other employees while operating machine
- Ensure OSHA standards are adhered to
- Understand the safety risk with each task and ensure proper safety methods are adhered to
- Ensure all safety training is current
- Knowing and understanding the soils and how they react to each piece of equipment being ran
- Responsible for Upholding the Integrity of Tapani Inc.
- Ensure an atmosphere of team work and utilization of each crew members abilities
- Maintain efficiency and quality throughout the project
- Communicate to Foreman changes that reflect the best for the owner and Tapani Inc.
- Bring concerns to the Foreman to assist with resolving issues quickly
- Always seek ways to learn and grow personally and professionally
- Maintain machines cleanliness
- Train others in operating techniques
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- 1-2 years prior experience as an equipment operator
- High school education or equivalent
- Obtain certification in First Aid, CPR, Confined Space, Competent Person, Rigging and Signaling
- Forklifts, butt fusion, electro fuse, and trucking require certification.
- Understanding of the operations and maintenance of all tools and equipment utilized on site
- Ability to generate efficient methods quickly to resolve roadblocks
- Ability to use discretion when making decisions independently. Know how to get the job completed with minimal impacts to the immediate surroundings, and welfare of the equipment being used.
- Knowing how to use each piece of equipment being ran
- Ability to be a team player
- Great interpersonal skills and communication with co-workers
- Ability to teach and coach other employees
- Working conditions for this position will be on project site
- Hours worked will be weather dependent along with schedule requirements. Summer time typically is longer hours and winter typically is shorter hours due to daylight.
- Work may require weekend work when project demands. Work may require night work when project demands.
- Extensive travel
- Employee must be reasonably physically able to perform job duties
- Ability to push, pull, carry, and lift 50-100lbs on a daily basis